I have two choices: Try to find an entirely new place - a small house or mobile home out in the countryside - or find a garage or a shed to rent, or heck, even a piece of dirt that I can work on. All I really need is a hose and electricity. I could even put up one of those portable canvas sheds to get me started. I'm not too fussy - at least not in the beginning. If in a year I need something different, I'll deal with it then. But for right now, if I found a vehicle to buy and sell, I wouldn't even know where I could park the thing - let alone do the most basic of work to it, like detailing. For firewood, I just need a place where I can chop wood and stack it up under some tarps. If I can finagle some work painting, I'll need a place to leave some ladders and paint. I don't really need too much to get started in these things, but I can't do any of it while I'm sitting in a condo.
Between the two choices, an entirely new place to rent or to find simply a place where I can do some work, I suspect moving to a new place might be the best. I mean, if I had to rent an old garage or shed, I doubt I would get something for less than $250 or $300/month, and it might possibly be $500 or more. Well, then for the same money, plus the rent we already pay, we could probably rent a pretty decent little house out in the countryside too and improve our over-all lifestyle at the same time. We'd like to have a dog and I'm getting kind of sick of living in town - I much more prefer the country. Also, if we could find something to rent from a farmer, perhaps if I got to know him and made a good impression I might be able to pick up some seasonal employment from him or from someone he knows - which might lead to another addition to the "diversified income stream."
The thing is, it's not all too easy to find people with places for rent out in the countryside. A lot of them I don't even think list in the paper/online. I quite often see "for rent" signs posted beside the driveway, then for a year or two, no sign... then a sign again. So, I've been driving around looking for signs - and of course when you need to find one, you never can! We did find a place for rent in Chilliwack - a nice little two bedroom house with a huge back yard and a decent work-shop/shed. It'd cost us around $500 more than what we pay right now. But, so far, that's the only place we found. If I was lucky, I'd find a place that badly needed paint and offer to paint the place for the owner for really cheap or in exchange for rent - that way I could get my head back into painting. I've painted a few houses and I know I can do a good job, but it's been a while and being able to do one job like that would be all I'd need to get me going and rebuild my confidence in my painting abilities. We've kinda made a goal for ourselves to have a new place - or a place for me to work - by the end of the summer. So we've got a couple of months to find something, and in the meantime I can do some more research on the types of small businesses I want to try to get into, while putting my car up for sale (I need a truck!) and getting other little odds and ends taken care of.

+of+Copy+of+Buildi1.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment