Tuesday, 1 October 2013

Current Diggs

One thing I regret not doing during life was taking lots of pictures of the places where I once lived. You don't really think about it much while you are living at the place, nor when you are moving away, but I've found that I regret not having something to remember where I once was. I've lived in two apartments above a store, a variety of 1970's styled apartments while in university, a mobile home, a small house, an 1,125sf 2BR condo, a 1,450sf 2 BR townhouse-condo, a 550sf 1BR apartment-condo and I currently live in another 550sf 1 BR apartment-condo. The first 1BR condo was in downtown Vancouver, right downtown, and it was brutally expensive. They were renting for $1,125/mo when I was there (and now are $1,400-$1,600/mo), so I moved to the outskirts of the city where I was able to find a similarly sized place for $625/mo.
.
.
.
.
.
.
I like this place. It is finished nicely and it is all the space I need. That's what I find about small places - the finishing is what makes it comfortable to live in. In a small place, you can afford to go a little higher in quality per square foot, and make a really nice place. This, and the place I lived in when in downtown Vancouver, are the smallest two places I have ever lived in. After living in the first place, I decided that I really didn't need anything more, and in fact, was grateful the place was so easy to maintain.
.
Here's where it all takes place, folks!

.
.
.
.
What is lacking in this place is decent storage. There is only a small hall closet by the door, and then a walk-thru closet in the bedroom.
.
.
.
.
.
I planted a balcony garden last spring.
.
.
.
Here's how they looked in the summer:
.
.
.
.
I have very little desire to have a much bigger place than this. A second bedroom would be nice, but I would probably set it up as an office with a bed to the side for guests. I often pace around this place and figure that it would make a good cottage design as well.

One thing I would like is to get onto my own piece of land, and out of apartments and condos. But, I really don't want a big home. I want a garden and a dog, and maybe even some goats and chickens. I have the resources to do something, but also, I feel real-estate is way over-priced. If our governments keep printing money like toilet paper, there will come a day when they must raise interest rates in order to convince people to hold their currency, and when that happens, I suspect that real-estate prices are going to plummet. I have the resources set aside to take advantage of such a situation, so, I am waiting... and plotting... and waiting.
.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.
Related Posts:
The Bear Den - Underground Survival Home
The Natural Home - Passive Solar Construction (online book)
510sf Passive Solar Cottage
Judith Mountain Cabin
.

No comments:

Post a Comment